Ironically, the very first technology that we developed for the health and wellness industries came as a result of black mold infestation. A group of doctors for whom I did a great deal of consulting, called me early one morning in a state of panic. They reported that the state board of health had shut down their office building, determining it to be infested with black mold. The really sad thing is, that these doctors specialized in treating very severe health issues. People would fly in from all over the country to see them. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to them, they were sitting in a waiting room filled with black mold spores.
The technology that we developed was an upgraded modification of an old technology used in Europe to sterilize the air in hospitals and mortuaries. We made several changes to the system in order to protect the potent, yet delicate medicinal compounded formulas used in the system. We reduced the functional temperature as to not harm the vital constituents in the formulas with high heat. We changed the wicking system to function without the carcinogens from cotton wicks. Finally, we disguised these highly effective air sterilizing units to look like decorative home decor items.
The technology was tested in two European independent testing facilities and was shown to kill up to 85% of the bacteria in the air thirty hours after being turned off. This was found to be the most efficient air sterilization process available to date. The very tiny light-weight molecules continued to hang in the air, sterilizing more than a day after being shut off. This coupled with the effectiveness of the medicinal compounds diffused into the air by the units, was found to be an efficient way to eliminate airborne contaminants and off-gassing.
Breathing black mold has serious consequences for ones health. It can cause resistant cases of upper and lower respiratory infection and is detrimental to the lungs, bronchial tubes and throat. Until the aggressive mold spores have been killed, they continue to populate. Black mold poisoning can be fatal.
When water leaks have not been properly treated, black mold is a serious consideration. Just caulking, spackling and painting over water-drenched sheet rock, drywall or plaster is not the correct way to deal with mold. Once saturated, the materials begin to feed the mold growth. There are home improvement store commercials that suggest that paperless drywall is the solution for mold. This is only partially accurate. The paper does hold the moister allowing mold to grow, however the bigger problem is the gypsum, the material that makes up drywall as it escalates the growth because black mold feeds on gypsum.
Always get a professional contractor who knows this information to make the correct repairs. If the contractor does not suggest removing all of the previously saturated materials, down to the studs, and sometimes replacing the studs (depending on the condition), following with cleaning all remaining surfaces with Tide, not bleach, and then replacing with new materials…get a different contractor! This is no joking matter. We have seen people who were nearly on their deathbed, due to black mold poisoning and didn’t even know why they had gotten ill.
Black mold can be found under carpets that have been water-soaked, in bathrooms with improper caulking around tubs, showers and sinks, as well as in the ceiling after a roof leaks, in the vents and in damp areas such as laundry rooms without proper ventilation. If you see even a tiny area with little black specs…you have mold. Do not attempt to remove this without superior mask protecting and heavy duty contractor trash bags and ventilation pulling all airborne spores to the outside. Before the clean up begins turn on a minimum of one air sterilizing diffuser.
Cars are not exempt from housing black mold either. A colleague of mine has had a suspicious leak somewhere in her car that no one can find. When she accelerates after a rain you can hear the sloshing somewhere in the wheel wells. Whenever I have been in her car for five minutes, my throat becomes raw. If I am in this vehicle for more than a few minutes, I feel as though I’m getting the flu and I am very healthy and almost never sick. After this happened a few times I realized that there must be a problem with her car. When I asked her about it she told me of the strange unresolved water problem.
If you go to a hotel that smells damp and musty, ask for your money back and go to a different hotel. It will be a rare and very unintelligent hotel manager who will not refund your money at the treat of the state board of health inspection. Whenever I travel by car, I always carry an air sterilizing diffuser with me. It takes care of the airborne contaminants, off-gassing and worst of all, mold. I use the sleep formulas a night because there are so many interrupting noises in hotels that can disturb sleep and the formulas for mental clarity, physical energy or immune boosting during the daytime.